My Tryst with the Cockroach

Roaches. I have been disgusted by them ever since my eyes could process those creepy crawlers. Just now I ran out of my hostel room's bathroom because one such specimen decided to set up camp there. All was well till then. I had just finished playing a good game of Dota and was readying myself for a night full of cell signaling when I felt like I had to have some Boost (really helps with the morale). So I grabbed my mug and headed in to wash it and suddenly I spot some scampering out of the corner of my eye. There he was. Resplendent in his brown exoskeleton, twitching his feelers a few feet from my left foot. I tiptoed towards my basin and proceeded to wash my mug, all the while watching out for an impending attack. Just as I was about to shut off the water supply, the animal decided that my foot needed some creeping over and charged. So did I - out of the bathroom. I quickly latched the door and then realized that my assailant could comfortably walk through the gateway under my door. So, just to be sure I wouldn't get jumped when I was out of the warzone and inside my self-styled sanctuary, I thrust my doormat under the door and moved it around in the hope of startling my adversary. I must've succeeded because I sighted no incoming artillery. Relieved, I trudged out of my room.
This ain't a one-off affair. I have been made fun of, taunted, etc. for my disgust (or rather "fear", as people who like to laugh at this aspect of me, put it). People have held live roaches by their feelers and waved them gleefully at my face as they watched me writhe in disgust and shoot off in the opposite direction while they derived sadistic pleasure. This is the case with rats as well. Rats however, tend to be as afraid of me as I am of them. I've never had a Mexican stand-off with a rat. Roaches, on the other hand, are a completely different story. Their fortitude and resilience to my taunts only makes me more secretly admiring of them. It isn't an overstatement to say they deserve to be the oldest life forms on the planet. They have, after all, been around since the "terrifying lizards" stomped earth.
Now, as I take refuge in my neighbour's room, I am formulating a plan to drive out the invader. I shall append an entry downstairs in the "room service" book of my hostel for a bathroom cleaning. Let's see where you end up now dear Mr. Roach! :P

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Year at SASTRA

Magic

My trip to Pazhur Village, Trichy